Old 26-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Rodney Pont

Default Something is taking bites out of the goldfish

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:24:16 GMT, Simon Avery wrote:

Any chance that something is getting under the edge of the
net like a pine martin or a ferret?

RP Thanks for the suggestion and yes, something could be
RP getting in down the streams.

Or Mink? Real problem around here, thanks to the ALF releasing a load
in the 70's.

I would've thought they'd simply make the fish disappear wholesale
rather than in pieces though.

Again there isn't really any damage such as these sort of animals would
cause. I saw a picture of a Dragonfly nymph hanging onto a Stickleback
many years ago and it looks like this. These fish aren't big and my
idea that one is ambushing the fish and hanging on while it chews is
constant with the wounds. The two that died were small fish, one had
it's stomach eaten and the other had it's face eaten and they were
hemispherical wounds. There isn't the normal pondlife we used to have
either. We found one water beetle and three tiny slug like things less
than half a centimetre long. In the past the pond has been teeming with
waterlife and now there just isn't any.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk