Old 27-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] using repaired pots

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luis Fontanills"

In a message dated 9/26/2003 1:42:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

So, another question along this same line (I'll wake up the list

yet!)--do
pots reach
the point where repairs or damage make them more desirable, in terms of
wabi/sabi--patina, that sort of thing?

No. ;-)

Most potters destroy flawed aesthetic and/or flawed technical pots.

Breakage
by someone other than the potter in an accidental way is far removed by

the
maker's intent.

Collectible ceramics is always seriously affected in its perceived value

if
it has been damaged, even if skillfully repaired. Only the rarest pieces

retain
value.

Luis:

Basically, I agree with you, but.....

Chase Rosade tells me that, in Japan, really old and valuable pots with
minor dings are repaired with gold inlays (Maybe you could take it to a
dentist friend), and used in exhibits.

These are usually pots that are in the category "If it didn't have any
damage, you couldn't afford it".

Regards,

Bart

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: