Old 27-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Simon Avery

Default Power saws and cuttoing back Leyllandi

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Hello Nick

| posted earlier, a hedge trimmer is unlikely to more than
| make a mess of your leg, and one of the reasons is that
| it will stop faster than a chainsaw (and in comparable
| time to a reciprocating saw). But almost all of them
| still run for long enough to be going when they impact
| your leg. RTFM

NM That's what it says, and I can confirm from experience that
NM it is right. OK?

FWIW, I think you're right. Mine's a modern small petrol trimmer by
Jonsered and definately has no dead-mans hand (other than a standard
2-lever throttle), no emergency stop and has a "half choke" setting
for when it's cold that increased tickover speed to such an extent
that the bar is moving even at idle.

Electric ones are very different, and some have electronic braking
which is /good/ but it ain't instant.

Imo, a tool worthy of respect, but as you say it's certainly a lot
safer than a chainsaw. No kickback, no exposed cutting edge that cuts
on three sides, smaller engines.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/