Old 27-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] using repaired pots

Nice post, Marty.

I think Mike Hagedorn expressed the Japanese display of bonsai pots well in
spirit though I'm not confident of the detail, as related. Mike cares about
these things, studies them and would take care to report accurately, so he
could be absolutely correct.

Attention is perhaps paid to aging more in suiban aesthetics than bonsai pot
aesthetics, though I would speculate that the balance is equal. The proper
practice for suiban according to Mr. Matsuura in Nippon Suiseki Association
is to display an aged stone in an aged pot and a new stone (which is not
properly yet a suiseki) in a brighter pot that looks more youthful.
Matsuura thinks aging important for every pot. He also ages new calligraphy
scrolls that he has obtained, but not to the point of scruffiness as Kenko's
_Essays in Idleness_ suggests as fitting. Matsuura advises the Imperial
family on display, & Nippon Suiseki Association is the only official
representive of suiseki art recognized by the Japanese Ministry of Cultural
Affairs which promotes traditional arts. His practices appear consistent
with major presenters and publishers of bonsai display. I wonder what
sources Mike Hagedorn illustrated for display-- were they of alcove
displays,
exhibition displays, garden growing areas or other choices?

A patina replicating age on a new pot is insufficient for exhibiting
according to Matsuura. I don't think debris or abuse is acceptable.
Intentionally allowing or encouraging a water or chemical stain (as opposed
to a mellowing weathered patina) as well as chipping feels wrong. It would
indicate the present or previous owner showing lack of respect for his
material.

In Southern Chinese or Korean folkcraft intended for everyday use such as
for feeding ducks and later adapted as containers for bonsai, perhaps the
standard for "original" condition is widened. Would abusive (breaking,
chipping) or even insensitive (discoloration exceeding unobtrusive patina)
be tolerated as anything but a sign of abuse or vulgarity once a pot is
obtained? A stone that is not aged in its entirety distracts because of
patinated and protected areas drawing attention; therefore stones are
carefully turned to weather all of their displayed surfaces while aging--
even the protected areas of shelter stones are turned to age. A pot with a
stain or chips is similarly distracting.

I'd like to see more published by people who are responsible for display.
I'm not familiar with displays by enthusiasts capable of using mellowly aged
material choosing to use abusively or even heavily-aged (worn to disrepair)
material in pots or scrolls, today.

I use scrolls for bonsai/suiseki display that are sometimes overly worn
because I can find better material by overlooking the flaws... but their
price tells me a larger pool of purchasers will not consider them. The
museum & fine arts art community are more accepting of an overly-worn or
well-refurbished scroll painting or calligraphy surface than the alcove
display community in Japan, I think.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: