Old 27-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Leon Fisk

Default Help Identifying Flower Shrub

On 20 Sep 2003 19:12:48 -0700,
(Michael Baribeau) wrote:
.
My appologies for just barging in as a first time visitor with a
question but I am stuck. I have spent hours online trying to identify
this lovely bush, its flowers with the most beautiful fragrance, but
with little success. It grows here in Michigan USA woodland
clearings, I have seen it up around 8 feet high, green leaves that are
silver underneath ovate toothless wavy edges alternating pinnate
reddish leafstalks and branches, small whitish tubular flower clusters
along the branch in Spring pointing down with a strong pleasing
fragrance, and reddish berries in fall. I have a few photos at the
link below, click on the photos to enlarge...

http://snurl.com/Flower_Shrub

Hi Michael,

Ugh! It sounds like the evil Autumn Olive (elaeagnus
umbellata). Try doing a Google search using the latin name.

It has been listed as a noxious weed in West Virginia. Other
states have listed it as an invasive species.

The following link may help:

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...gi?symbol=ELUM

They really do have a potent fragrance, almost intoxicating
in the spring time. They are also really difficult to
kill/eradicate. I have a lot of them around the place. I
didn't even need to look at your photos. The description you
gave was plenty...

They use to be a recommended planting for wildlife, but not
anymore here in Michigan. I wouldn't recommend encouraging
them to grow in your area at all. You will regret it...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b