Old 27-09-2003, 08:22 PM
John Cotterill

Default Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Spotted one here yesterday around 1715BST it was generally cloudy at the
time but felt warm. The first time I'd seen one, it was feeding on the
plants in my hanging baskets and I was able to get within a few feet of it
before it darted away over to next doors garden. It had very impressive
markings and was very colourful about 3" long body wise with a proboscis
some further 4" or so in length.

John

Leicestershire

Roger The Rabbit wrote in message
.. .

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/...gbirds_rife_in
_our_countryside.asp

In case anyone's interested, I had the good fortune to see one of these

the
other days - acting completely like a Hummingbird! It had me fooled for a
while - it looks a lot more like one in real life, even down to the way it
flies!