Old 27-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Kev

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

(William.R.Reisen) wrote in
om:

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this
building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well
insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too
hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer
equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most
of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass
windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from
seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with
approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that
fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it
together myself.

Thanks.

I did this in a converted shed. I filled all the gaps in the walls then
lined the whole of the inside with rockwool, and covered over the top of
this with plywood. Did the same for the ceiling, running the rockwool
between the "joists" and covering over with plywood.

It worked well, it was fine to heat in the winter I had a little fan
heater that did the trick well. The shed was around 10' by 8'. The
main problem I had was the heat in the summer, it reched stupid
proportions, about 30 degrees. It was suggested to paint the roof with
siler felt seal to reflect the heat, but I never got round to that.

For power I ran cable down the garden and had a seperate consumer unit
in the shed, which after some discussion was decided the best way to do
it, with an isdolator indoors where it ran from the main CU.

I had a good proportion of computer equpiment in there although not as
much as you, but it did get cold overnight, due to not having a proper
heater in there. If you go this route I would suggest putting in a
proper wall heater that can run overnight to take the chill off if it
drops too low.

Saved space in the house though and was great for escaping SWMBO!!