Old 27-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Quince

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

Eh? True quinces are LOW on acid! Perhaps you are thinking of
Chaenomeles (a.k.a. japonica, a.k.a. Japanese quince).

No, I am thinking of real old fashioned quinces. The orchard in my parental
home had a number, and my school had a hedge of them. The latter served the
additional purpose of providing the canes for chastisement. Both groupd
were intensely sour to the taste.

Boggle. None of the quince trees I have ever seen would grow well
as a hedge, or be suitable for canes. Japonica would.

Anyway, true quinces are NOT high-acid when ripe, which can be seen
by the fact that jelly made from them needs lemon juice to set well
(or japonica). They are somewhat mouth-wrinkling, but that is not
due to acid.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.