Old 27-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] using repaired pots

Hi Luis.

You note that HH's pot is "the embodiment of the artist's intent and skill."
I suppose that means he is skillful at doing what he intends. I'd agree.
He also is skillful at managing firings with results that surprise him,
which are likely favored results of his intention. This result appears
very orchestrated and I wonder if the potter was more pleased or displeased
at his apparent control. Perhaps, the result is not what he envisioned, but
it probably is.

Are you asking an opinion of this pot for bonsai, for companion planting,
for potting skill or for testing potting surprises. I'd guess it very high
in skill and low in surprise for the potter and for a potential purchaser.
It is a distracting form for highlighting most material that would be placed
in it. It might suit for complementing material that was also
'deconstructed' (Lenz or Kimura might try this,or Sudo in a catalog with a
post-modern display) but even there it could be more a play on the notion of
deconstruction than a solely visual aesthetic combination. The taste it
serves isn't typical of bonsai display taste.

Heinzlreiter Horst's ability and taste are far reaching and few would not
find pots to cherish among them. I hope he doesn't choose puns regarding
utility of broken pots (like signing 'R. Mutt' on a transparent farce) to
knit art with kitch as a potter. It's already been done, and better, using
less craft which is actually more stirring.

Best wishes,
Chris... , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --