Old 27-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Diane M.

Default spike or root?

hi Jim, Well, At least I'm not the only one having weird growths. Most of my
collection was acquired out of bloom, so I'll be in for a surprise.

Your EPI. STAR VALLEY 'Nalo' keiki is one of my weirdoes. Growing nicely,
but - It has a root growing from the middle of the plant. I emailed someone
who grew these and I think since it is root happy, I'm going to mount it on
cork

"jim seymour" wrote in message
Really confused and somewhat redfaced...Brassia is normal, now the Sharry
Baby is the one in question.
Jim

"jim seymour" wrote in message
news
Diane,
My Brassia rex spent the summer outside, lots of direct sun and

plenty
rain (PA). Fed properly I think. Plants were brought inside with the

threats
of Isabel and temps to 43F. Mine also has a growth at the top of the

bulb.
I am really confused because whether it is a root or a spike it is way

out
of place. Perhaps the plants are confused but mother nature seems to

know
what she is doing. Time will tell.
jim

"Diane M." wrote in message
t...
Old question, I know, but I've never seen a spike on this Brassia

verrucosa
x self before and now it has this growth coming out top of the

psuedobulb.
It's thin, and loots like a root. Could it be a spike? If not where will

the
spike start- if it's a root, another strange growth has occurred.

With the plants coming inside, I'm sure I'll start seeing new activity

--
Diane