Old 27-09-2003, 11:28 PM
ken saunxders ken saunxders is offline
Registered User

Location: Eastanglia
Default Huckleberries

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Maclaren
In article ,
Jaques d'Altrades wrote:
The message m
from ken saunxders
contains these words:

Are huckleberries meant to look like deadly nightshade.,or has my
neighbour made a terrible mistake.

Huckleberries look like blueberries.

Garden huckleberries look like *BLACK* nightshade. (The berries of
which, when ripe are edible.)

Thank you for your knowledgeable replies.I had to stop a child eating them until uncle (my neighbour) came along. These plants were in pots and defineately BLACK., Frightening!They look good though, and productive.
See a previous thread. The berries of SOME STRAINS OF black nightshade
are edible; it is unclear that all strains are. I shall continue with
my practice of experimenting with many wild plants, but not the
Solanaceae.

It is very bizarre that two families that include many of the most
important food plants (the Solanaceae and Fabaceae/Leguminoseae/etc.)
also include many of the most poisonous plants. But it is so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.