Old 28-09-2003, 02:39 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Soil recommendations?

It would depend on the precentage of clay. loam and sand that in in it.

Jill Johnson wrote:
=

Is mud wet dirt or wet soil?
=

"animaux" wrote in message
I've been gardening here for ten years. I didn't have to be born her=

e to
know
that soils differentiate. No soil is dirt. It's all soil, good or b=

ad.
Dirt
is the thing you squirt Fantastic on to clean it off door knob surrou=

nds.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:12:38 -0500, opined:

If you are a native Texan and grew up in the
country, there is just dirt.
However, as you noted, there is good dirt & bad dirt:-)

Gene

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
No, they are not the same. Dirt is the stuff that shows up on your=

car,
windows,
door knobs and floors. Soil is a living, active, rich biological s=

ystem
which is
full of myriad life forms. Everything from micro organisms to ma=

cro
organisms
live in soil. Soil is life. Dirt is not.

Some soils need to be amended in order to make it more hospitable =

grow
plants
in. Many of the Texas soils have high alkalinity, some in East Te=

xas
are
acidic, then there are the swaths of acidic soils which run from f=

ar
north
Dallas, down through the Park Cities, downward to just south of Wa=

co.

All soil on the earth has a way of renewal. Forests have renewal =

in
their
leaf
litter, and other fungi in the soil which form mats under ground a=

nd
symbiotically live with trees and help them use water and nutrient=

s.

So, I can go further, but this is only a millionth of the differen=

ces
between
dirt and soil, from a scientific standpoint.

Victoria

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:41:25 -0500, opined:=

They are both the same, except soil costs mo-)

"Jill Johnson" wrote in message
=

=2E..
What's the difference between soil and dirt?

"busry" wrote in message
I have a couple of 4x4 frames of landscape timbers and wanted=

get
some
soil to fill them to start a garden. I figured a truckload o=

soil
would
be
pcheaper than filling them with bags of dillo dirt from home

depot.
Can
anyone recommend a place in Central Austin where I can get a
truckload
of
soil? How much can I expect to pay for it? Any leftover will=

be
spread
on
my lawn.