Old 28-09-2003, 03:02 AM
dkat

Default Tall, "Soft" Shrub/Plant

I can't imagine any shrub that will get that tall that does not have a woody
structure. Variegated Dogwoods are really pretty but I don't think they get
that large quickly or at all (they also have some berries) I don't know if
crape myrtle is hardy enough for your area but it would get that tall (it is
woody however).

http://www.organicgardening.com/library/shrubs.html
http://www.ivillage.com/home/experts...adid=6 283138

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
m...
"pelirojaroja" wrote in message

Hello,

I am looking for a shrub that gets TALL (10 feet would be nice) and also
somewhat wide (6 feet) -- but taller than it is wide. I want to plant

it in
front of a bay window for screening, so it should have dense leaves.

Here's
the catch -- I want it to be deciduous so that we can have light in room

in
the winter. It should also have "soft" stems (not too woody) because

it'll
be close to the house and the window. It doesn't have to be neat in

terms
of dropping things (berries, etc.) since it'll be in the garden area

right
outside the bay window.

I live in zone 6 (lakefront Cleveland, OH) and the area gets full sun.

I've been looking at garden centers and am not having much luck. Any

ideas
would be appreciated!

Look at Vitex, nice aromatic foliage, nice blossoms.
Might winter kill to the ground in a severe zone 6 winter but will
make 5-6' of growth following a die back.
Otherwise look into other members of the viburnum famiily or perhaps
Philadelphis
(mock orange)