Old 28-09-2003, 10:12 AM
James

Default Latin Plant Names.

Cereoid, may I ask you a question, please?
What is your purpose here on sci.bio.botany?
Why do you work so hard to suppress your own good nature ?
On the odd occasions when you volunteer information you display some
knowledge of botany. You are obviously capable of becoming not only an
interesting contributor to this group but also someone whose character and
personality make him a worthwhile friend and partner in debate.
Basically I'd just like to know "what's up?". If other "posters" here have
at some time been guilty of what you perceived at the time as being a
slighting remark or a "put-down" then I'm absolutely sure they didn't intend
to drive you into this strange and atavistic defensive mode of behaviour.
How about realizing that, first of all, they mean you no harm, and that
secondly your contributions to the group (of which it's self-evident you are
an avid reader) would be so much more fun if you were able to interact with
your fellow posters as a friend and brother. I'm being totally sincere here,
Cereoid, and I'm also absolutely sure that other "posters" on the group are
only waiting for a few pleasant words from you before they respond
accordingly.
Very best, (from a cold and rainy Britain)
James Tolber.

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
m...
ROTFLMAO!!!

Yeah sure, Rinkytink. I've moved on the Spam.net International, the

biggest
new ISP since your mother went pro!!! If you believe that, I've got some
swamp land to sell you. (There are no ISPs big enough to compare with your
mother going pro!!!!)

P van Rijckevorsel wrote in message
.. .
Cereoid-UR12- schreef
You ask not about Latinized plant names but rather abbreviated author

names.

"L." is Carolus Linnaeus, the father on modern botany. He invented

the
binomial plant system used to this day. You should have learned that

in
intro to botany.

+ + +
Along with how Mickey Mouse saved the world
+ + +

There are now hundreds of standardized author name abbreviations.

+ + +
Actually over 30.000. Off by a factor 100 this time.
Is this a gain in accuracy for you?
You are also lagging a day behind.
PvR

PS. Got kicked out by prodigy?