Old 28-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Spike

Default new lawn splotchy, coming up weeds

I'm getting close but haven't seen anybody comment on how to seed the bare
spots... I have a few as well and would like to just hand broadcast the bare
patches... can I just leave the seed where it falls or do I havta try and
bury it a little (and disturb what is already or may be trying to grow.

"rci" wrote in message
We just planted a new lawn 8-9 days ago. We're just barely starting to

see
the peach fuzz that lets me know the lawn is coming up. I have a few
concerns though:

1. The grass seems pretty splotchy. We're in Seattle and have had a lot

of
rain this last week which washed a lot of the seed around the yard, so the
lawn is thick in some place, sparse in others and simply non-existant in
others.

2. There are a lot of weeds coming is as well. I'm not sure what kind of
weed--they're only about as far along as the grass. Right now they just
have two tiny round leaves, almost like a two-leaved clover.

So, I've been considering options, and I would love some advice. These

are
my thoughts:

1. I could reseed where needed, give the grass a month or two, and if
necessary spray with a broad-leaf weed killer. Can I do something about

the
weeds now, before I re-seed?

2. I could kill the whole thing and lay sod (we just priced it and is

within
our budget). If I go this route, do I need to kill the existing
grass/weeds? I'm assuming I do. What's the best way to do that?

3. Any other suggestions would be great too.

Thanks for your help.

Robby