Old 29-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default 30 Roses To Start A Garden With

Shiva wrote after I posted about buying Double Delight:

I hope you will let me know how this one does for you, Susan. And, I must
say that it has been my experience that the roses I find most delicious
are the ones that blackspot and insects seem to go for first, as well.

I've always been a fan of the underdog. Must be why I like roses so
much. My neighbors have been known to laugh at me or claim I gross them
out when they see me picking the japanese beetle scourge off of my roses
on a twice daily basis during scourge season.

Honestly, it is the fragrant roses that always get eaten up and blackened
first in my garden--if I lapse in my spray program. I say grow what you
like--or at least TRY what you like. If you then decide the rose is too
much trouble, you can replace it. I have never found any of my great big
blousy fragrant fussy hybrid teas too fussy to put up with. Especially
since they DO "put out." G

Love that last line! That's exactly what I'm hoping DD does which will
make any fussing with a temperamental rose well worth it. Hey, I cater
to four tempermental felines in the house - roses are easy in comparison!

FYI, I did order the Double Delight from Jackson and Perkins. Decided
that I *know* their quality and didn't want to take any chances with
anyone else. One of these days, I'll get around to buying *something*
from Witherspoon. Maybe, some miniature roses to fill the spots where I
removed azalea bushes in one of the front beds... *grin* (I know, some
of you may consider it heresy to uproot an Azalea. I'm merciless with
what I like and don't like due to limited area.)

Don't waste your good mind on such things! Just till up the grass! :-)

Yes, but then what will the s.o. do for exercise and skill sharpening if
there's no grass to mow in and around the various beds?

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu