Old 28-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Quince

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
Ok You've convinced me ) Anyone got a recipe for quince Jam/jelly? Btw

it was
a plant I inherited not a single fruit ;o)

Lorraine

I've used both these recipes successfully:

QUINCE JELLY

If FULLY ripe fruit is used for this jelly, then 15 g of citric or tartaric
acid should be added to give a good set.

1.8 kg quinces
sugar
3.5 litres water

Wash and chop or mince the fruit, then place it in the pan with 2.25 litres
of the water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover the pan.
Simmer the fruit for about 1 hour, until it is reduced to a pulp, then
strain it through a jelly bag for 10-15 minutes.

Replace the pulp in the pan and add the remaining water. Simmer the pulp for
a further 30 minutes before straining it again. Combine both batches of
juice and measure the yield, then test it for setting. Weigh out 350-575 g
sugar per 600 ml juice.

Pour the juice into the clean pan and bring it to the boil, then reduce it
by boiling if necessary. Add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved.
Bring to a full boil and boil hard until setting point is reached.

QUINCE JAM

1.8 kg peeled and cored quinces (prepared weight)
1.15-2.25 litres water
2.75 kg sugar
juice of 2 lemons (optional)

Roughly chop or grate the prepared quinces and place them in the pan with
the water. Pour in the smaller quantity of liquid at first, then add extra
as necessary during cooking. Bring to simmering point, then cover the pan
and cook the fruit over low heat for about 25 minutes, or until it is
tender. Remove the lid and reduce the volume by boiling the pulp in the open
pan. Add the sugar and lemon juice, if used, and stir until the sugar has
dissolved. Bring quickly to a full boil and boil hard until setting point is
reached.

Mary