Old 28-09-2003, 07:02 PM
WasTa

Default Monty Don and his spade

I don't know how much spades cost in say the 1950's, but I'd guess that if
you worked out how much that was as a percentage of your pay now compared to
£90, that the £90 spade wouild seem cheap.

We're all so used to massed produced cheap (though not necessarily good
quality products.

Just my 10 pennorth

Trevor
East Yorkshire

BTW 3 days of absolutely gorgeous weather. Able ot work or sit in the
sunshine without having to head for the shade to cool off.

"DLee" wrote in message
Hi All

I was reading his garden book, and in it, he says that his favorite spade

is
one made of stainless steel forged from a company called Bulldog. He paid

£
90 for it in late 80s, and it is perfectly balanced and feel right, so he
uses it all the time although he has 6 or 7 spades. He thinks that this £

90
spade was worth every penny.

Would you pay £ 90 for a spade? I paid £ 20 for a Wilkinson Sword spade

this
weekend at B&Q, and felt that was too expensive for spade. Is it the case

of
BBC paying him much, or like other things in life, you get what you pay

for?

cheers

Dan

---