Old 28-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Tim Denning

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

snip
My cousin has a two of those seagoing containers in his garden to
house his collection of antique motorcycles and the workshop that
goes with them.

But they look awfull, unless you put a wood frame around and clad it.
Which may be feasible.

---

Hi

As has been mentioned planning permision would more than likely be required,
I'd be wary though, if you stride into the planning office asking for
permission to build an office in the back garden then the answer will
probably be no. A garden room, studio or the like would probably be better
recieved.

With this in mind, lorry containers would probably require some window
dressing to make then acceptable. The prefab timber buildings are pretty
good these days as are the Border Oak http://www.borderoak.com/Garages.htm
type timber framed buildings, I guess it's down to asthetics and your budget
at the end of the day.

If you want some more info on highly insulated timber panel structures you
could try contacting a guy called John Hayden, I worked with him a few years
ago and he's branched out into constructing small garden rooms, he only
works in the old Avon county area, so is probably not in your area. He might
be able to offer some advice though. his mail is -

haydengardenrooms - you know what goes here - btopenworld.com

You could also try posting in alt.architecture but I warn you things can
lean towards the insane in there at times :-)

HTH

Tim