Old 28-09-2003, 11:04 PM
SugarChile

Default Hedge right next to fence = problem ?

Well, as I said, the tops of them usually don't usually break, they bend.
The problem is, at least visually, that they don't bend back. And the
Christmas day storm that did that kind of damage around here was unusual--it
could be twenty years before those same kind of conditions occurred again.
On the other hand, it could be a few months.....

I have some Hinoki cypress that (knock wood) seem to handle snow and ice
well, and I have let them get quite tall. For some reason all I ever see in
the nurseries lately are the dwarf versions, but the tall ones are quite
beautiful and worth searching out, or at least putting on your list of
things to research.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"Lecher9000" wrote in message Sue, Thanks. I want
the living visual screen to be tall, so maybe AV are
not the choice if they're going to break off in winter. I get lots of

snow and
ice here in Pa.

Maybe some pine trees of some sort.

I hate all the needles and dead grass under pines though. hmmm....