Old 28-09-2003, 11:38 PM
N. Thornton

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Tim Ward" wrote in message ...
"Stephen Kellett" wrote in message

Good grief Tim, you are over-analysing way too much. I've seen UKP used
before, it hasn't been invented to make a political stand.

But someone must have invented it for some reason.

It makes no sense to go round inventing currency codes when there are
already perfectly good standard ones - write an invented private one of your
own on a bank document, for example, and it won't work. I guess people do
rather less of this in everyday life now that cash cards have replaced
Eurocheques, so not everybody carries the leaflet with the codes in their
wallet any more, but the things are still in common enough usage that one
can be expected to know the code for one's own currency!

So, despite the existence of "GBP" which has unambiguous meaning worldwide
on any documents written in any language, someone goes and invents "UKP",
which on the day they invented it meant nothing to anybody other than
themselves. Why??

Because its the first thing someone thought of when they wrote it.
Doesnt matter to me if its GBP, UKP, LSD or £. No, not that LSD.

Regards, NT