Old 29-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Daniel Hanna

Default Rose nurseries in Sydney

In Kirra wrote:
So, if you had the choice of stopping at one rose nursery in Sydney,
which one would you choose?

That's a hard one. I actually like Swanes, notwithstanding the modern-
only emphasis, because their gardens are truly magnificent. So much so
that international tourist buses make it part of their circuit. There's
not too many nurseries you can say that about. And even for an OGR fan,
it's at least a basis for comparison.

Honeysuckle Cottage, on the other hand, is a diametric opposite. I
doubt you could even get a bus up there at Bowen Mountain. The nursery
is the most higgeldy-piggeldy place... narrow dirt paths leading through
pots of roses placed any old where, in almost totally random order.
Some have handwritten tags, others have commercial labels. The whole
effect is like an overgrown cottage garden, only potted and with pieces
of incredible rose history for sale.

Probably the best bit about Honeysuckle is meeting the man who owns it,
Keith McLeod. He sits amongst his roses, many of which he grafted
himself, drinking his tea and smiling contentedly as he dispenses advice
to beginners and experienced gardeners with equal patience. He's a true
gentleman, a true historian and he also has to be one of the best
rosarians in Australia, period. And he definitely doesn't do this stuff
for financial reward.

So you have a hard choice... both places tend to leave you feeling that
you should have paid an admission fee when you went in. Especially at
Honeysuckle. I haven't been there without buying something, and I
certainly don't have room for any more!

So there is your choice. Good luck. I'd do both if I was you!