Old 29-09-2003, 06:02 PM
jrstark

Default Whats with Wal Mart garden center

B & J wrote:
"Roy" wrote in message

Last week I picked up 66 5 gal buckets with a 40 pound bad of
fertilized potting soil in each bucket, marketed by Miracle Grow, out
of the Walmart Dumpster. All new and unopened. Today I made three,
yess three trips in my pickup truck and loaded it to the max each
trip with bags of various potting soils in 40 to 50 pound bags, and
also bag after bag of pine bark and also Cypress shredded mulch, as
well as 4, 50 pound bags of Rye grass seed, and some assorted other
smaller packages of various grass seeds...centipede, Fescue etc, in 5
and 10 pound packs. All of this was just thrown in the dumpster.

I coould have made maybe two more trips, but my back was about give
out. There was still still quite a few bags of mulches, and soil, and
who knows what else under all of that stuff. Its mainly stuff thats
dumped from the garden center, not regular garbage. They also throw
store displays and racks etc in this dumpster, which have turned into
great metal racks for holding lots of potted plants.
--
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye

I don't know where you're located, but your WallyWorld manager needs lessons
in community relations and economics. That (wo)man is missing a golden
opportunity if those gardening products aren't being donated to local garden
clubs for community projects. In our area any broken bags or left over
seasonal gardening items are donated to garden clubs, who are responsible
for maintaining public projects. Not only do these items give the people
involved in receiving this products a good feeling about WalMart but also
make them logical consumers of WalMart products. In addition, the items
donated are listed by the recipients and provide a tax write off. This is a
win - win situation for WalMart and the community.

John

It could be a manager who has gotten a different lesson. I know of a
small petfood chain (since merged) that at one time was donating
opened/out of date food to local adoption groups. Someone threatened to
sue over buggy/moldy food. They stopped donating and just trashed it
after that.

Janine