Old 29-09-2003, 06:22 PM
David Hill

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"................From what I can tell its a sensibly designed naming system.
I hope that was a joke considering the name of your business.........."

Well a Dahlia is a Dahlia, just a few thousand different varieties world
wide.

You have to use some common sense, Thyme not Thymus, Jasmine not Jasminum,
Chrysanthemum has kept its name if you are referring to spray, bloom or pot
types.
Also you would be more likely to talk about carnations, or garden pinks or
rockery pinks rather than just Dianthus,
You just have to use common sense.
Often the botanic name is used to avoid confusion, such as with Campanula
isophylia alba instead of "Star of Bethlehem" which could also be
Ornithogalum umbellatum or Angraeceum sesquipedale or a lot of native wild
flowers.
And so on and so forth...
--
David Hill