Old 29-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Kenni Judd

Default anyone recommend good orchid books?

That's mostly because there are about 1001 "right" ways to grow orchids and
only a few really really "wrong" ways. Not to mention adjusting for varied
conditions, and semantic/interpretational differences or misunderstandings;
a lot of times, authors as well as speakers are trying to say the same
thing, in different words ...

IMHO, Northen's book is a staple for the advanced grower, but likely to
confuse a newbie. The Ortho "All About Growing Orchids" is very good for
the beginner [if you can find it, the prior edition with the pink cover is
better than the latest edition with the floral cover -- the usual deal with
the "new and [not]-improved"].

Taylor's Guide to Orchids is also very good for those who read, but I find
that a lot of beginners get so carried away by all the pretty pics that they
forget to read the text -- I can't tell you how many have shown up here,
book in hand, looking for Miltoniopsis and other cool-growers despite the
very clear text which identifies them as such [and which means you can't
grow them here, at least not without a cool-house].

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"dd" wrote in message
Yes, and what's frustrating is when you get several "good orchid books"
and they don't agree on methodologies or cultural requirements...

In article b4Zcb.435373$cF.138919@rwcrnsc53, K Barrett
wrote:

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
m...

Be aware that orchid books can consume nearly as much time, space and
money as the orchids themselves.

J. Del Col

Ha! You got that right!

K Barrett