Old 29-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default How do you get rid of snails?

The message k
from (Larry Stoter) contains these words:

Beer in sunken margerine tubs.

Nah. They bring all their friends for a knees-up.

The best long-term solution is predators that eat snails (and slugs) -
Song Thrushes, Hedgehogs, Toads, Slow Worms, Glow Worms (if you're in
the right part of the country), etc.

Glow Worms?

We are very little troubled by snails (or slugs) and even have hostas
growing happily with very minimal damage. Neither do we use any chemical
control - hedgehogs, frogs, toads and Song Thrushes (and other birds)
probably account for most and it's great fun having all the wild life in
the garden. We can also eat all the garden veg without having to worry
about snail and slug poisons.

You don't have to worry if you use them sensibly. There is a dearth of
thrushes here, and I've only seen one hedgehog (or his flatmate) since I
moved in here. Plenty of frogs, newts and toads, but they just can't
cope, and they don't seem to like the crusty gasteropod pies, wot have
to be seen to be believed. Thrushes done a runner causing that.

And remember, one of the main predators of all those small grey slugs
which do so much damage are the very large black slugs.

Not seen one of those in the garden not never not nohow.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk