Old 30-09-2003, 02:35 AM
Terry Horton

Default Oak wilt resistant(?)

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:26:23 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:19:35 GMT, (Terry Horton) opined:

Yes but:
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fi...lt/oakwilt.htm
http://www.eiu.edu/~grnhouse/pdf/PG_...macrocarpa.pdf
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3306.html
www.ipm.uiuc.edu/diseases/series600/rpd618/

There were many links on the site I gave...I thought.

Yes but... [:-)]. Not trying to say who's right or wrong, only hoping
to ferret out the latest science. From the links I posted:

-"Usually, however, white oaks die slowly."

-"Oaks in the white group (bur, chinquapin, post, swamp white, and
white oak)... ...are more tolerant of the disease and may survive
infection for one or more years while displaying decline symptoms."

-"After two or more years of progressive die-back, infected white oaks
have sparse crowns and eventually die from oak wilt or secondary
causes. Bur oaks are intermediate in susceptibility and may be killed
as quickly as red and black oaks or as slowly as white oaks."

This suggests oak wilt will seriously damage or kill bur, chinkapin
and monterey oak. It isn't the message I get from reading tamu,
austin.tx.us, and local nurseries.