Old 30-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Chris

Default Watering

"Bruce" wrote in message ...
Ok, thanks. This isn't an established plant, just planted it about 2 weeks
ago. Leaves seem to be curling a bit (at night as well) despite daily
watering. I'm a little nervous that perhaps I'm overwatering.

Like Bob said, it is very hard to over water bamboo.

If it looks like it has died completely, don't give up on it. I have
a stand of Phyllostachys Bambusoides grown from 9 five gal pots. On
the drive home from the nursery (about 45min) I had one pot that went
from a very vibrant and happy green to very brown and dry. I planted
it anyway, I even turned down the nursery when they offered to replace
it (I said that if it didn't come back in the spring I'd take them up
on the offer). It continued to look even worse (if that is possible).
In the spring it put up shoots almost impossible to tell from the
other healthy plants. Right now you cannot even tell where the "dead"
one was.

Keep the soil damp or moist, no standing water, and you'll be fine.

What type of bamboo is this?

I have some clumping bamboo that I keep very wet, sometimes even in
standing water. It is very hot here in the summer time so I tend to
overwater the tropicals to try to be on the safe side. They seem to
love it.

Once again, it is hard to kill bamboo, many have tried :-)

Chris
Chino,CA