Old 30-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Will Trash-Spam

Default Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:42:02 +0000 (UTC), "Will Trash-Spam"
wrote:

And soon as you show up on councils radars
as running a business from home, beware....

What experiences have you had then? Change of use or what?

It wasn't me it was a neighbour. He was (and in part still is) running a
kitchen fitting business from his home. The council got wind of the fact he
was basically using one room for an office and his garage for a workshop and
found this out because they were a bit upset that large lorries kept
delivery goods in a residential area (that was how they started anyway i.e.
the trigger on the radar). I guess someone complained.

Anyway in the end they made him move out of his garage BUT he managed to
keep his "home office" because it also had a domestic use (well thats what
he argued). It did take him a bit of stress and a while to convince them
though, they were mumbling about business rates and that our development is
a residential development, hence no designed for "business" traffic
(whatever the fupp that means).

The irony is he still has stuff delivered to home in big lorries (less often
admittedly), but then moves it from his garage (store) to his (at the
moment) free rent workspace from the council!

Its also ironic that there are at least 8 or 9 people who work from their
homes and I know 3 of them run businesses out of their homes.