Old 30-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Philip

Default Apple tree question

"Robert" wrote in message ...
"Kim Bewick" wrote in message
: Hi everyone
: Last year my husband bought an apple tree (I have no idea which variety).
It
: blossoms beautifully and we had 3 apples on it this year (wow I hear you
all
: say :-) but they were extremely bitter.
: I would like to know if it is a good time to move the tree from it's pot
now
: as it has reached about 5' in height and seems to be very unhappy now.
: Kind Regards
: Kim Bewick
: (Cardiff, Wales, UK) where we are still having beautifully warm days, but
: cold nights.
:
:
:
: Yes any time in the autumn is a good idea while the ground is warm enough
for the roots to grow. If the roots are all coiled up in the pot you should
tease the ends out of the root ball a bit so that they will grow out into
the soil. A handful or so of bonemeal in the planting hole earth will help
as well and of course lashings of water

Make sure you water well before removing from the pot. One it will
help you to unravel some of the roots from the pot shaped root ball,
and two it easier to get the water into the root ball while its still
in the pot. I would even consider standing the pot in a tray of water
for a couple of hours, if you can find one large enough.