Old 30-09-2003, 04:02 PM
paghat

Default pee in the pile

In article ,
(Thalocean2) wrote:

Even though this is the dumbest thread I've ever read in here I still have to
ask this question...

If you pee on your compost pile on a regular basis won't the salt content of
your urine inhibit the growth the the benificial bacterias?

Laura B.

Possibly, & it should perhaps be thought of as a "soil ammendment" -- most
of which would destroy the value of soils if used in excess.

Urea crystals happen to be a normal component of the majority of
commercial composts, so really nothing untoward so far as that goes.
However, any spot that gets ****ed in a lot will encourage hazardous
bacteria which stink to high heaven & can carry pathogens. It is a red
herring that fresh urine is usually fairly sterile & harmless; as soon as
it hits the compost heap it is no longer safe to drink, & it encourages
ugly-ass types of funguses besides potentianally hazardous bacteria.

There is a Humanure Handbook that tells how to recycle human waste into
the garden, but neither an open pile nor a sess pool is quite the proper
method. The handbook is available free as e-text:
http://www.weblife.org/humanure/default.html
There's a chapter on home-made composting toilets. Here's an additional
nice little page on composting toilets as "the Rolls Royce of toilets":
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~thehollies.../humanure.html
and lots of info he
http://www.compostingtoilet.org/

-paghat the ratgirl