Old 30-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default OT Do Jackdaws kill Bats

The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:

Every evening I sit out on the patio watching the sun drop below the
horizon. As the sun sets the jackdaws gather in huge flocks of several
hundred birds, diving and swooping together until the sun sets. Often I see
a bat emerge from the eaves of the Manse to flutter about catching insects
on the wing.
Last night the bat emerged and flew across my garden. A pair of the jackdaws
swooped - and suddenly the bat was gone!
I have never seen a jackdaw take live prey like this before - is this usual
behaviour?

Them jackdaw's rooks.

I'd lay odds on any bat when it comes to ærial maoeuvrability versus a rook.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk