Old 30-09-2003, 08:02 PM
NTANTIQUES

Default Bride's Dream must go

my bride's dream grows quite well and produces lots of blooms....but the
blooms rarely open. it is probably botrytis, and my regular spray program
doesn't keep it in check. i live near santa cruz, ca, and we have cool
wet/foggy nights and warm days. since i grow my roses for cutting, bride's
dream has been a disappointment even though the few blooms i can pick are
beatuiful. now for my question: i am looking for a light pink to replace
bd. any suggestions? the new zealand in my edmunds catalog looks good, but
they tell me it balls much like bd. i have read that audrey hepburn and
royal highness may do good in this climate, but i can't find them in my
catalogs. do you know anything about those two?
tia
tom

For a disease resistant light pink with a fabulous scent, I'd suggest Frederic
Mistral. I put two in a couple of years ago and am thrilled with their
performance. I'm in the SF East Bay valley, so it's hotter than Santa Cruz,
but the one I gave my sister in Mt. Shasta has performed well too - under very
different conditions.

I too have problem with bud rot on my New Zealand, but no problems at all with
Frederic Mistral-and I break all the rules. These roses get only morning sun
and are watered from above by the lawn sprinklers. By all rights, they should
be a mess, but they keep cranking out fabulous long stemmed blooms that are
perfect for cutting. My only caveat is that it needs space - it really gets
big - ok with me, because it gives me plenty to bring into the house without
stripping the bush.
NT
NT