Old 30-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Pam Moore

Default Green fly / soapy water

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:07:35 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

I, too, have used washing up liquid but found it adversely affected
the leaves of some plants.
On one GQT programme Pippa Greenwood said it must be soft soap and
NOT detergent.
I remember Pippa saying a year or so ago that as a child she used to
help her parents by mixing Lux flakes in water for spraying. Can one
still buy Lux flakes? I don't know. I have a big tub of insecticidal
soap purchased years ago and assume it is still effective.
BTW I have not seen any whitefly on any of my plants this year and
very few aphids.

Pam in Bristol