Old 01-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Dwayne

Default WANTED: Muscadine vines!

Yes to both. I would start them off in February, but dont rip up the ones
in the garden until these get started. I know a man who started all of his,
but his favorite method was to lay a vine on the ground and cover several of
the "buds" with dirt. He would leave enough space between the dirt piles to
give him plenty of room (18 to 24 inches). Then in Oct, he would cut them
in the appropriate places, dig up the hills of dirt, which had all produced
roots, and replant them in his garden.

Have fun. Dwayne

"Siouxzi" wrote in message
news
Wow, yesterday I came upon a couple of muscadine vines with huge,
purple-black, delicious fruit. Now I want to rip up the scuppers I've
got in my garden (OK, but not great) and plant these instead.

But where can I get some ready-to-plant vines? Or could I grow one
from a cutting of the plants that I found? I am inexperienced in
growing plants from cuttings...

I've heard you really need a pair for cross-pollination. True?

Help would be appreciated.

Sue