Old 01-10-2003, 05:11 AM
Dwayne

Default Why no iris?

I have replanted a lot of iris, and almost never have I gotten any to bloom
the next year. It has always taken at least 2 summers, and in some cases 3.
I believe that next summer you will be surprised.

Dwayne

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
nk.net...
Don't know for sure about other types of iris, but bearded iris don't need
much fertilizer, if any. See http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-8506.html and
related pubs. Lots of green growth but no flowers usually means too much
nitrogen, as suspected. I believe of the three letters (NPK), nitrogen is
for leaves, and the other two help flowers and roots (someone, help me out
here as to which is which). The suggestion to add phosphate (P) sounds
right. Homemade compost also can have a good balance of all three; you
generally can't go wrong with that.

Elizabeth

"m hill" wrote in message
ink.net...
i too had very few iris's. i had added dirt to the area and think that i
lowered the bulbs too far down by adding soil. the leaves came up but no
iris. i have about 50 iris's along the fence and not one came up. . if
anyone knows why please give me a clue.i did add miracle grow
"JoanD'arcRoast" wrote in message
. ..
Too much Nitrogen. Simply sprinkle around some Triple Phosphate.

In article , Mother Mastiff\
wrote:

Last year the iris bed (about 3 years old now and new corms added

each
year)
bloomed PROFUSELY. I put some rotted chicken manure in their bed in

late
summer and mulched with pine straw. There was nly space to add two

new
corms.

This spring I was excited because of the big lovely bluish green

leaves
(the
bed finally looked mature somehow, or close to full), but only two

plants
(out of over 30) bloomed. I kept looking excitedly for the buds,

but --
nothing!

What did I do wrong? If the chicken manure had too much nitrogen,

what
can
I do now to balance things out?