Old 01-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Dick

Default Algae

No, I don't have a Nitrate testor. However, the 75 tank has a lower
fish inch ratio than my 29 gallon. The 29 has no Black Hair Algae. I
feed all my tanks the same food.

I think the BHA came in with some plants. I used water from the 75 to
start the 29, so I conclude it isn't transmitted by water.

Currently I am using less light in the 75 and yesterday loaded the
tank with low light plants. Also, I am expecting a shipment of SAE to
add to the 6 now in the tank..

It was a strange experience planting the tank and having the SAEs
nibbling on my arm. Their bites bordered on painful.

The only varmit that I have seen eating the BHA is a Magic snail that
I limited to a patch of bha with a plastic bowl. It definitely mowed
the patch down, but I destroyed that Magic because it had developed a
taste for plants. Funny, I have two other Magic snails and I have
never found them eating plants. They do get on plants and I assume
are eating algae, but they haven't developed a taste for the plants
themselves. Thank God! They are pretty snails. I have several
younger Magics that I am watching carefully. I am surprised that my
Clown Loaches haven't finished the young snails off.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:30:18 GMT, Cris
wrote:

Have you measured for nitrate? I'll bet it's high with a heavy fish
load and only 25% water changes/week.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:42:06 -0500, Dick
wrote:

In the 75 gallon II change about 15 gallons each week. I change a
similar ratio in my 29 and two tens. No Hair in the other 3 tanks.
I have two light hoods on my 75. I am trying using just my lower
light hood for awhile. It puts out light more on the blue side of the
spectrum.