Old 01-10-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Goals for next year?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:57:44 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

They grow a lot of "designer" veggies which seems to help their business
a lot. And they practice intensive gardening methods, claiming to
produc in one acre what regualr gardens get in six acres. Impressive if
true. I was also struck by their 8 large hoop-houses (quite large
ones), only two of which are at all heated and then just to keep from
freezing. Both owners have written books, neither of which have I read.

That's Eliot Coleman and his wife (Barbara Something). I
have Coleman's book 'The Four Season Harvest' and consider
it *very* valuable for anyone wanting to extend their
season.

Coleman's coastal climate in Maine is probably about
equivalent to our mountain climate in Pennsylvania, and if
he can harvest all winter from an unheated hoophouse, I
should be able to do so as well.

We currently have a cold frame but are considering a small (cheap)
greenhouse or hoop-house to extend the growing season a bit more. In
years past, we always had spinach in a cold frame in the winter and it
was always fabulous. It was also great for getting an early start too.

We have all the materials for a 10' x 24' hoophouse and
*still* haven't started building it. Hopefully, we'll get
this done in October. I hope. I really need it next
spring! knocks on wood, crosses fingers We have the
materials for a cold frame too.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/