Old 01-10-2003, 06:12 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default lighting for 20 gallon tall????

If I may, just a suggestion about your typical lighting situation... If
it's the light that came with the hood it'll probably be just a 15W bulb,
which, really doesn't do any good at all with anything else except 'low
light' plants... I would suggest, crypts, red or green, java fern, and the
bulbs you got from walmart may work, except, sometimes, if not used pretty
quickly, they dry up and are no good....

From an earlier post from James MK
The best choice in a low light plants.

Anubias barteri var. nana (dwarf anubias)
ceratophyllum (hornwort)
cryptocoryne affinis
cryptocoryne lutea
cryptoryne walkeri
egeria densa (eledea)
microsorium pteropus (java fern)
hydrophila corymbosa

"Heather" wrote in message
om...
I've been getting conflicting informations on what kind of lighting
that I need for my aquarium so I'll tell you what it is that I want
and ask for recommendations. I'm new to plants and I want to setup a
planted angelfish tank. Money is tight (getting married and new
house...any of you who have done this know what I mean). I want
something that I can enjoy but isn't too much trouble. (No co2
machines).
Right now I have a standard flourescent bulb and I'm certain that
my lovely amazon sword plant is going to die. The money wart got
eaten by the goldfish cycling the tank. I have walmart bulbs that may
or may not sprout. The sagitarius looks ok as well as a dark green
plant with needles and a tall grass looking plant with a white strip
going through the center. I'm using the try and see method to see
what lives...
So what do ya recommend....
Thanks
Heather