Old 01-10-2003, 09:02 PM
D Kat

Default Zone Discrepancy

You are to believe your plants (or look at what your neighbors are growing
or what the local nursery sells). California has so many micro climates
that there is no fast safe rule. If you are by the ocean your temperatures
are going to vary far less than if you are inland. If you are going up into
the mountains you have to consider latitude, what side of the hill you're
on, wind patterns and all kinds of things. Are you in a protected valley or
a valley where the cold settles is yet another varient in that area.... My
Mother moved from San Bernardino which as a 9 zone rating and where we had a
thriving bougainvilla to Escondido with zone 11 where for the life of her
she could not get a bougainvilla to survive (but all of her hawaiian type
plants do).

If it were me I would assume a zone 11 and try plants with that zone range
that are not expensive and then move in the appropriate direction of zone
from how the plants do.

DKat

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I just found a resource produced by the California Energy Commission
that "lists the climate zones associated with several thousand
California cities."
(http://www.energy.ca.gov/maps/climate_zone_map.html)

It lists my zone as Zone 12, while the Western Garden Book lists my
zone as Zone 9. Who am I to believe?

-Fleemo
(Zone 9, no, make that 12, no...)