Old 01-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Beans over?

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

My runner and dwarf beans now have no flowers or beans and are looking a
little sad. Id there any point leaving them in case we get a frost-free
October and hence more cropping? Or should I clear them up now?

My runner beans are still lush, green and cropping though there have
been no flowers for a while. I keep taking off any beans that get big
and lumpy and fling them in the compost, and that seems to help keep new
ones forming (which otherwise might have just shrivelled up without
bothering to develop).

When you do cler them out, cut off their stems at ground level to
leave the nitrogen nodules on their roots in the ground.

Sweetcorn is still cropping nicely.

Janet.