Old 01-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Bracken compost

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

I found a supplier of a compost based on bracken and horse manure. The
price is almost exactly twice as much as that of ordinary peat based

potting
compost. Is this a rip-off?

Isn't the composted bracken/manure product is intended as a
fertiliser/soil enricher?

Yes. It is intended to be used as a mulch, as far as I can make out. Which
is why I find it surprising that it is twice the price of peatbased
composts. Typical of the price of other non-peat composts. I consider them
to be rip-offs too.

Potting compost is intended for what it says.
If they are not equivalent products then one wouldn't expect the prices
to be similar.

Indeed. I would have expected the mulching composts to be less expensive
than the peat-based composts. Perhaps I anm just plain wrong on this issue.

Compare it with the price of other composted manures like 6X , which
is also twice the price of ordinary potting compost.

Franz