Old 02-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Winterizing Strawberry Pots?

izmo (SCiani) wrote in
:

On a lark this year, I planted Everbearing strawberry plant in some
strawberry pots. I had too many plants, so the remainder went into a
large plastic pot.

Now I haven't a clue as to how to get them to winter over. We're in
Chicago and I know I can't expect containerized plants or even the
pots to survive the winter. How do container gardeners winterize
perennials? Would an unheated garage work OK? Or will I just have to
plan on deconstruction?

I was hoping some green thumbs would have responded by now with an answer,
but personally, I think it would be enough just to put them somewhere the
temp is always above freezing.

I remember reading some varieties of strawberries stop producing after 2
years, but I could be hallucinating.

- S