Old 02-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Goals for next year?

In article ,
Steve wrote:

Pat wrote:

........ Eliot Coleman and his wife (Barbara Something). I
have Coleman's book 'The Four Season Harvest' and consider
it *very* valuable for anyone wanting to extend their
season.

Coleman's coastal climate in Maine is probably about
equivalent to our mountain climate in Pennsylvania, and if
he can harvest all winter from an unheated hoophouse, I
should be able to do so as well.

I was lucky enough to get to hear Eliot and his wife in person. They
gave a talk on how they grow all year long using a movable hoop house.
Interesting talk from interesting people.
If you ever meet Eliot in person, what ever you do, don't ask him "what
about the story that greens grown in cold weather have too much nitrogen
in them to be healthy?" Someone asked him a question about like that
and he got a little riled up. His answer convinced me that there is
nothing to worry about but it's been too long to remember exactly what
he said.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Well what I want to ask him is how he deals with all the mercury
contained in the kelp he and Barbara harvent from the beach for use in
providing trace elements to their gardens. I bet that might have the
same effect lol.