Old 02-10-2003, 05:42 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Possible Frost Tonight

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Ross Reid said:

We're almost due North of Erie, PA.
Heavy frost here last night. Matter of fact, it's now 9:15 AM and the
grass is still white where it's in the shade. I'm afraid it's curtains
for the tomatoes and eggplant that were still left in the garden.

I pulled all my ripest squash yesterday. There is a chance of a freeze
overnight tonight -- with no warm weather to follow any time soon.

Oh well. Going to prep a bed for garlic this weekend.

I just did the same today.... maybe an early frost tonight here as well.
I picked nearly ten pounds of the zuchetta trombonici or however you
spell that lol. We only planted them in August and never dreamed they'd
do this well. So I will be making a nice batch of zucchini pickles in
the AM as well as shredding & freezing the last of my Raven hybrids.

I also picked nearly another bushel of chiles and sweet peppers. LOL...
I think maybe next year I may plant a few less. My freezer is bursting
with them already. There were also ten small eggplants with tons more
little ones on the plants. Tons of green tomatoes which we really do
not care for pickled (yet anyway). There were only a few black-eye peas
left and the limas were few with tons of beautiful foliage--- hmmmmm.
That should not have happened. We also feasted on the last of the
raspberries which are still going strong. The parsnips and carrots are
still going strong.

And speaking of garlic, we like to spread ours around the various
planting beds of flowers as another deer deterrant.