Old 02-10-2003, 08:34 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Questions on chemistry of fruits

Jeff Root schreef
What distinguishes fruits which taste fruity from those which
do not?

+ + +
Mostly sugar? Also color, smell and taste. The substances responsible for
the last two are only very subtly different.
+ + +

For example, apples, oranges, bananas, strawberries,
and grapes usually taste fruity when ripe, while bell peppers,
tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, olives, and squash generally do not.
(When anyone other than a botanist mentions "fruit", what is
meant is almost always a member of the first group, and not
the second.)

Could you give me examples of:

Parts of plants which taste fruity, but are not fruits.
(The only example I can think of is rhubarb.)

+ + +
cashew (not the nut), juniperberry, yew berry, etc
+ + +

Fruits which taste fruity but are not cultivated for food.
(And maybe some indication of *why* they aren't.)

+ + +
98% of all fruits? Laziness?
+ + +

Fruits which do not taste fruity and are not cultivated for
food. (And again some indication of why they aren't.)

+ + +
Acorns. Although the fruits are used the trees are not cultivated for this.
+ + +

Ultimately I'd like to have several widely-familiar examples
of each. I haven't been able to find much info about the taste
of parts of plants not normally eaten. :-)

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Subtract 1 from my e-mail address above for my real address.