Old 02-10-2003, 03:22 PM
JennyC

Default Gardening programs and books on "dificult" gardens

"John Towill" wrote in message
Having read, well skimmed really, books on gardening, and indeed

watched TV
programs, which profess to sort out difficult gardens, they seem to

me to be
quite easy.
Off they go with a spade and elbow (or should that be knee) grease,

a dollop
of mulch, lo and behold a garden in which they can plant.
My garden has no top soil and consists of what I believe is called

gravel,
which is almost solid pebbles with the gaps filled in with sand and

clay.
Digging means a pickaxe, then I am left with loose pebbles! Is the

only
cure to import top soil? It takes an awful lot to cover even a

reasonable
bed with a spit and a half, even then the pebbles wander up for

fresh air.
Frustrated, North Staffs.
Cheers
John T

Inspiration might be found at Derek Jarmans Dungeness garden - its
totally pebbles :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/davidtrivett...den/Jarman.htm

Jenny :~)