Old 02-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Dave Painter

Default clearing waste land to plant new veg garden

"Mike Tickle" wrote in message
snip
So now for the questions...
Is it worth getting a weed lance/flame gun/blow torch on a long pole type
thing to burn of what's left on the surface?

Not really, it is the roots you want to get at.

I have started double digging the plot (very hard work) and taking out the
weed roots as I go. There are lots of bits of root left - 2" bits of them
that have been cut while I have been digging. Is it OK to leave them in

the
ground or will these bits of root turn in to next years weeds? If so will
renting a rotovator/cultivator help or make things worse? Does the fact

it
has been dry of late help as it will dry out the exposed bits of root, or

is
the rain that's coming going to kick start the weed growing process.

The bits may/will regrow depending on what they are so a rotovator will make
the problem worse.

At the moment I am double digging as the roots go that deep and a

rotovator
does not (16cm for the one I have seen). Are there any simpler options?

am avoiding chemicals as in spring this will be my veg plot (if I get it
ready in time) - but is this just my lack of knowledge - are there
weedkillers that will kills the nettles and brambles but allow me to plan

in
spring?

SBK/Roundup and a couple of brushwood killers will work on the more woody
nettles and brambles.

On the prevention side - we back out on to a bit of land that has brambles
on it so I was going to line under the back fence with a damp proof liner

stop the weed roots form coming through. Is there any thing more I can

do?
Is there any way to stop the weeds I have disturbed coming back with a
vengeance next year?

Yes cover the ground with old carpet.
Or thick layer of newspaper/cardboard (no glossy magazines)
Black polythene
'Mulch mat'

Keep the light out. Lift it weekly and pull the weeds out.
They will be weak sickly things, the ground will be moist and crumbly,
easy job.

Plant lots of spuds through in holes in the cover, breaks the ground up
nicely.

I am considering raised beds (since the soil is mostly clay and the plot

is
on a slope) if the roots are buried deep enough will that stop them, or

will
it just take longer?

Depends, nettles should stay buried,
brambles tend to come up regardless, (In my neck of the woods anyway)

And looking forward - if you had a 9x7m veg plot that faces east (with a
chain link fence at the east end so it is not in the shade in the morning
and a lattice fence on the west side so it can catch the evening sun until
it goes behind the house) what would you plant (remembering the problem

with
the clay)?

Start with a mix of different potatoes.
Some nice sald earlies, a maincrop, couple of the 'exotics' (Pink fir apple
f'r instance)

Uses a lot of ground,
helps to break the soil up.
Gives you time to see what works for you

Dave
PS ask your local seedsman/allotment holders what spuds grow well in your
area.