Old 02-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Bill Bolle

Default ?? seeding a mulched bed

AnonnyMoose wrote:
I want to broadcast poppy seeds into an area that is currently mulched.
Should I remove the mulch, seed, and then cover the seeds with mulch? Or
should I just broadcast the seeds and mix them into the mulch?

TIA
karen

Think about the purpose of mulch! One is to retain moisture but the
main purpose to to inhibit the germination of weed seeds. If you
broadcast the seeds, on the mulch, some will not come in contact with
the soil and will not germinate. Some will contact the soil but not
receive enough light to grow. Best bet is to remove the mulch where
you want the plants and, when they have established themselves, move
the mulch back around the plants.

Bill