Old 02-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Rob Halgren

Default My new addition!

claude wrote:

hello everyone!

It was my meeting yesterday ( Orchidophiles de Montréal ) and I bought the
following:

Dtps. Neapolitan Charm

Paph. Maudiae

I can`find any pictures for the first one ( it is very young ) as well as
for the Paph. I did a search with google for Paph. Maudiae and I only found
Paph. maudiae X .......
There was no Paph Maudiae.
Does that exist ? What does it look like?

Not only does Paph. Maudiae exist, it is older than dirt. In fact,
it is (if I recall) one of the oldest man-made orchid hybrids.
Registered in 1900 by Charleworth &Co. Didn't look hard enough, here is
a link to one on my webpage
(http://www.msu.edu/~halgren/Pictures/Maudiae.JPG).

For all its age, it is still an excellent Paph. hybrid, and the
classic 'ice green' paph sold at florists world wide. Maudiae "The
Queen" is still among the best of this breeding. "Maudiae Type
Breeding" is actually what we call an entire class of paph hybrids.
There have been some improvements to the maudiae type in recent decades,
and Maudiae itself has been remade a few times. I don't think they have
improved much on "The Queen" AM/RHS (awarded in the 60's I think) AM/AOS
(The American Orchid Society got into the act in the 80s), but they have
added in some nice colors.

You should be pleased with it. No guessing what color form you
have, unless it says on the label. They have remade it with vinicolor
parents, coloratum parents, albinistic parents... But they remake it
because it works.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit